SINT MAARTEN/THE NETHERLANDS – A 22-year-old Moroccan national, who was born and brought up in the Netherlands, has gone to court to avoid being deported because of his criminal record.
The man is one of six teenagers who were sentenced to youth detention for their role in the the death of a football linesman who was kicked by a mob after a youth game in Almere in December 2012.
The IND told the man two years ago that his residency permit would not be renewed because of his history, news agency ANP reported. He has been involved in other crimes, including one committed after he was told he faced being banned from the Netherlands, ANP said.
The man told the court that since then he has taken steps to improve his life and is undergoing intensive treatment for his problems. A psychiatrist told the hearing in Amsterdam on Thursday that he could become suicidal if deported.
His mother told the court: ‘Where should my son go? He does not speak Moroccan properly and he will be homeless when he arrives at the airport.’ It is unclear why the youth does not have Dutch nationality. The court will rule on the case in six weeks’ time. (DutchNews)